Toasted Coconut Bars
When you love coconuts...you just do! And it’s never enough of them!! The perfect way to be energised by plants and healthy fats and it’s so easy to make!
A perfect, vegan, gluten-free, low-sugar snack which gets its sweetness from the desiccated coconut, coconut milk and from a delicious apple sauce.
Nutritional facts / bar
Carbs: 2.9g of which
Fat: 12.7g of which
Makes 18 bars:
- 60g desiccated coconut
- 300g mixed nuts
- 62g applesauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 75g coconut milk
- 20g coconut oil
- 150g unsweetened, crushed 70-85% dark chocolate or chocolate chips
- 20g stevia or erythritol
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Spread the dessicated coconut across a baking sheet and toast in the oven for approximately 3 minutes. Stir, and then cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until golden brown and fragrant.
- Set the toasted coconut aside, and using the same baking sheet, toast the mixed nuts for approximately 5 minutes, until fragrant.
- Place the coconut, mixed nuts, applesauce and cinnamon in a food processor. Pulse until the ingredients are crumb-sized. Add the coconut milk and half of the coconut oil. Continue pulsing until the mixture begins to clump. If it seems dry, add the other half of the coconut oil.
- Line an 12 x 12-inch pan with parchment paper, allowing two sides to hang over the side of the pan. Dab a bit of coconut oil on the pan to help the parchment stick to the sides.
- Press the coconut mixture firmly into the pan, using a piece of plastic wrap to help flatten top evenly. Freeze for 15 to 20 minutes, and then slice into 18 bars.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave with the sweetener. Dip each bar into the melted chocolate, put them on a rack and let the chocolate set completely on the bars.
- Store them in the fridge or freezer.